|Shoppenhanger's Manor fire|
Monday 19 June 2000
The fire brigade was called to a major fire near Shoppenhangers Manor this evening. The 13th century barn near Manor Lane was ablaze as the photos show. Over half of the barn is destroyed though the main Manor house itself remains.
The barn was owned by the adjacent Holiday Inn hotel, and is close to a petrol station on Shoppenhangers Road. The barn was used for storage by the hotel.
The blaze comes during a period of extrememly hot weather, which may have accelerated the fire. The fire started at around 6pm and was brought under control by 35 firemen.
Right: The burning embers after the fire.
The barn is about 1.5 miles from the town centre. Smoke could be seen from all around the town.
Guests at the Holiday Inn were evacuated whilst the fire was brought under control. There were no injuries.
Left: The barn after the fire
Bottom: A wider view of
Story and top two photos: David Burbage.